Environmental Education Center
The Lincoln Soil & Water Conservation District has established an Environmental Education Center to increase awareness of our natural resources. Teachers, students and landowners will be able to gain a better understanding and appreciation of our natural resources by doing hands-on activities. The Environmental Education Center has the following items that can be checked out on a two-week loan basis.
- Soil probes – soil samples, soil profiles, etc.
- Soil sieves - Used to separate and grade soil samples
- Soil texture kit – Classify soils according to their clay-silt-sand composition
- Topsoil Tour – Designed for grades 4-8, the Topsoil Tour Kit allows students to investigate soil pH and nutrient levels in their own soil
- Orienteering Course Kit – Includes everything to conduct an orienteering classroom both indoors and outdoors in one convenient kit. Comes complete with compasses, exercises and lesson plans
- Aquatic Net/Kick nets – Use to sample macroinvertebrates to determine quality of streams
- Water Testing Kit – Easy to use, modular water quality test kit to investigate the pollution of fresh or saline aquatic environments. Kit contains twelve individual test modules with step by step instructions for alkalinity, ammonia, chloride, chlorine, chromium, copper, dissolved oxygen/BOD, hardness, iron, nitrate, pH and phosphate
- Pond Water Tour – Designed for grades 4-8, the Pond Water Tour allows students to test varying levels of pH, dissolved oxygen, nitrate and ammonia found in local ponds, lakes and streams
- Watershed Tour – Designed for grades 4-8, allows students to learn about stream ecology, water quality issues and their own connection to a watershed
- EnviroScape Watershed/Nonpoint Source Model - Demonstrates pollution & storm water runoff and best management practices to prevent pollution
The Environmental Education Center was funded by a grant received from Corey & Bridgette Lutz, Piedmont Jerseys – 2001 Conservation Farm Family. For more information on the Environmental Education Center contact the Lincoln Soil & Water Conservation District at (704) 736-8501 or come by the office at the Citizens Center, 115 W. Main St., Lincolnton, NC – Room 205.