Find Us OnFacebookTwitter
Lincoln County North Carolina Est. 1779Click to Home Page

Go To Search
homeprint pageemail page
Emergency Alerts - OFF
Lincoln County Government
353 N. Generals Blvd.
Lincolnton, NC 28092
History Corner

Lincoln County was Formed from Tryon County in 1779

The county was formed in 1779 from the eastern part of Tryon County. It was named for Benjamin Lincoln,
a general in the American Revolutionary War.

In 1782 the southeastern part of Burke County was annexed to Lincoln County. In 1841 parts of Lincoln County and Rutherford County were combined to form Cleveland County. In 1842 the northern third of Lincoln County became Catawba County. In 1846 the southern half of what was left of Lincoln County became Gaston County. 

More information on Tryon County is available here.  
Tryon
For more information visit the Lincoln County Historical Association website.

Madison Iron Furnace

MadisonDerr
The Madison Iron Furnace was built near Lincolnton. Madison Cold-blast Charcoal Iron Furnace, owned by James F. & R. D. Johnson, was built in 1809 on Leiper's Creek, outside Lincolnton.

By 1815, North Carolina had 23 iron works, mostly in the Piedmont area. By 1823, Lincoln County had ten operating forges and four furnaces, producing 900 tons of bar iron and 200 tons of cast hollow ware items.

The iron furnace was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places on January 1oth, 2019. The nomination report may be viewed here.

For more information visit the Lincoln County Historical Association website.

   Madison Cold-blast Charcoal Iron Furnace    


Slide Show of Early Lincoln County Photos

Soldiers Marching on S. Academy St. 1